Gibson Southern Jumbo Original Vintage Sunburst
The Gibson Southern Jumbo Original can deliver whether you’re belting out country rhythms or acoustic blues leads. This acoustic-electric guitar, derived from the most treasured flattops of the war years, has the ideal balance of punchiness, mid-forward projection, and delectable harmonic overtones.
And its adaptability ensures that everything from mild fingerpicking to powerful strumming sounds fantastic. The Gibson Southern Jumbo Original rosewood-capped mahogany neck is easy to play, and the LR Baggs VTC electronics deliver top-notch amplified tone.
Furthermore, the eye-catching double antiqued multi-ply top and back binding and mother-of-pearl parallelogram fingerboard inlays make this A/E stand out. Players looking for a flexible acoustic-electric guitar with traditional design will appreciate the Gibson Southern Jumbo Original.
Vintage tonewoods bring timeless sound
The Southern Jumbo Original is made of Sitka spruce and mahogany, the same time-tested tonewoods that have been utilized since 1942. This legendary pairing produces a warm, resonant tone with plenty of projection.
When unplugged, the Southern Jumbo Original may fill a room, but when amplified, it can saturate a stadium. Fingerpickers, strummers, soft-touch players, and hard-hitters all appreciate the remarkable response this famous acoustic offers to a wide range of approaches and genres.
Get amazing sound onstage courtesy of LR Baggs VTC electronics
The Gibson Acoustic Southern Jumbo Original is outfitted with LR Baggs’ VTC acoustic pickup system, which is a popular option among Sweetwater acoustic musicians.
This system includes a low-profile under-saddle transducer that has been shown to be more stable and robust than many typical ribbon-type pickups.
Its streamlined and effective design eliminates extraneous internal components to increase pickup-to-guitar coupling and transducer sensitivity for a powerful, energetic, and genuine acoustic sound with superb dynamics and delicate high end.
The VTC, when combined with an inbuilt preamplifier and an unobtrusive and removable volume control located right within the soundhole, provides a pure-sounding amplification presence to your Gibson Southern Jumbo Original.
The Southern Jumbo — a brief history
Gibson designed the Gibson Southern Jumbo Original in the 1940s after a southern area salesman returned home requests for a durable, adaptable, and appealing round-shoulder dreadnought.
The SJ has become a Gibson classic, with to its delicate inlays, historical “banner” headstock, and exquisite “‘hog” tone produced by its solid spruce top and mahogany back and sides. The Southern Jumbo Original retains the late 1940s style and appointments that reflect the Southern charm and flair.
Gibson Southern Jumbo Original Features:
- Sitka spruce top delivers a direct, punchy sound with great dynamics
- Mahogany back and sides yield thick, mid-forward sound with gorgeous overtones
- Comfortable Slim Taper mahogany neck
- Easy-playing rosewood fingerboard with mother-of-pearl parallelogram inlays
- LR Baggs VTC pickup provides excellent amplification
- Nickel open-back tuners ensure stable tuning
- Eye-grabbing double antiqued multi-ply top and back binding
Gibson Southern Jumbo Original Tech Specs
- String Type:Steel
- Number of Strings:6
- Body Shape:Round Shoulder Dreadnought
- Back & Sides Wood:Mahogany
- Top Wood:Sitka Spruce
- Finish:Gloss Nitrocellulose Lacquer
- Color:Vintage Sunburst
- Body Bracing:Scalloped X-bracing
- Binding:Multi-ply top/back
- Neck Wood:Mahogany
- Neck Shape:Slim Taper
- Fingerboard Material:Rosewood
- Fingerboard Inlay:Mother-of-Pearl Parallelograms
- Number of Frets:20, Standard
- Scale Length:24.75″
- Nut Width:1.72″
- Nut/Saddle Material:Bone/Bone
- Bridge Material:Rosewood
- Tuning Machines:Open Gear
- Electronics:LR Baggs VTC Under Saddle Pickup
- Strings:Gibson, .012-.053
- Case Included:Hardshell Case
- Manufacturer Part Number:OCRSSJVS